Whether you are aiming to sell a variety of products like clothing, and food, or if you just want to introduce your company or give out information, you should know that websites can never truly be successful without good navigation. The navigation aspect on web design is important because they greatly affect the experience of the user while in a particular website. If your website’s navigation is crap, you can expect users to become frustrated and leave. You can think of navigation as a gateway to the different areas of your website.
When creating navigation for your website, you should know that there are rules that were set up for you to follow. These rules would guide you into making good website navigation.
- Make it easy to find. Since the navigation is the ‘gateway,’ naturally it should be placed some place where people would easily find them. Navigation would only take less space that is why you should make the navigation stand out. Preferably, they should be placed near the topmost area of the website so that the visitors would not have to scroll down just to get to the navigation panel.
- Navigation should be consistent. This means that the navigation panel should be consistently found on the same place on each page of your website. Not only that, the navigation should also maintain the same font, the same size and the same style.
- Navigation sections should be obvious. When you name sections, make sure to use obvious names that would be able to clearly define what the section contains. ‘About us’ should only be about us and ‘Home’ should only be home.
- Navigation should make use of fewer sections. When you have too many navigation buttons in your panel, the visitors might get overwhelmed with the number of choices being presented to them unlike those who are specifically searching for Paper Mart bubble wrap on the Paper Mart website which is well designed. This would also divert them to the more important areas of your websites that is why it is recommended to have only a few sections on the navigation.
- Navigation should always remind the users their current location. It is easy to get lost in a website that is why you should make sure to highlight the section names of each websites significantly so that users are reminded of their current whereabouts in the case they get lost.